Aww, I was looking forward to BBB on SLAYRadio this evening, but it was cancelled. Listening to it always cheers me up. Oh well, I hope Boz will feel better soon, and that there’ll be a show next week.
Had to test how an image would look here. So, here it is, a picture I took a few years ago, of a spruce’s branches, in a forest area near my parents house.
The uploader of images in WordPress seems to work ok, used the flash based one, but there seems to be an alternative one available (just to switch to by a click) too.
That was a nice day, when I took that picture, sun was shining, and I played around with the camera, taking pictures of plants and trees.
Update: Around 10 years later, today, 2018-10-01, I have updated this post to display the image in full width.
I wanted to run a little more recent kernel on this machine (that this thing runs on), and I wanted to run a Debian kernel, to see how that works, on Xen. It went mostly ok, but, with the previous kernel, udev was not being used. When it then for the first time, generated the names for the ethernet interface, it for some reason detected 3 more (nonexistent) interfaces, so the real one ended up as eth4.
That wouldn’t have been that much of a problem, but my iptables specify the interface name, and therefor, it used eth0, and blocked everything, or rather, didn’t let anything in on eth4, of course. Oh well, after solving that (thanks Johannes, for all your help), I locked myself out because I forgot to edit my rules before bringing them back on again. But that was also fixed quickly.
Now then, I wonder if I should play with the fire, and try to make udev do what I want, do a reboot, which, if things doesn’t come back as they should, would mean things will be down until tomorrow, or if I should not.. Since I like to do things Right, and also experiment with things (which to me doesn’t exclude one another), I think I will do that.
What I’ll do is, edit /etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules, have the interface be named eth0, have the iptables rules not installed on boot, and.. then not forget to edit them, then bring them up (using at(1) of course, to disable them after a few minutes in case it would lock me out, again). So, here we go.
That didn’t take long, an upgrade already, upgrading wasn’t a problem (if this can be read, which I think you can). Didn’t take many minutes, and I also got a chance(push) to make a backup, which also was smoothly done since I already have a nice little backupscript dumping it all, and sending it off. I’ll put it up later, in case it can be useful for someone.
Right now the Google bot was on, that was quite quick. (The machine that this runs on wasn’t happy, not sure if it was because of that, or because there were some visitors on another site running on the same machine, or other things.. it needs some more RAM that’s for sure.)
I’ve decided to go with this current theme, but change it a little bit more. And I’ve found some plugins that I like. However, as I said above, it runs quite heavily on this machine, especially the administrative interface. I’m trying the wp-super-cache to see if that improves things, and I like to think that it does.
I was told that the top header is taking up too much space, and I fully agree. Editing it involves a lot of pixels here and there, and wasn’t as easy as I first thought, but it’ll be fixed eventually/shortly. So far, testing how wordpress works and behaves, especially on this machine has been interesting.
Instead of writing something, or watching some movie or series, I browsed themes, plugins, and things for WordPress. I guess I can’t call it a waste of time, because now that is done, even if it’s not very useful.
I suppose one can have a worse Sunday.
However, the more themes one looks at, the harder it gets to decide what to use, or to use as a base, and edit. Oh well, I’ll let it have this one for now.. not like anyone will look at it anyway. 🙂
Yesterday I installed wordpress and set up some things. Gallery will also be put here, somewhere, haven’t decided how to organize things yet, as in putting it all under beardy.ath.cx/something, or set it up separately, as in something.beardy.ath.cx. We’ll see.
What I will do though, is to have two main categories here, English and Svenska (Swedish), and then subcategories.